Summer 2020 is upon us, a time when we would typically be on or planning our summer vacation. However, this year, many of us may be finding ourselves having to be flexible with our vacation plans. One great way to enjoy your time off while staying home and saving money is to plan a staycation instead! Whether planning for you, as part of a couple, or as a family, no matter if you have a large home with a yard or an apartment with a small patio, we have some tips to help make your staycation fun and rejuvenating.
To get the most out of your time off, plan it! Just as you would take the time to plan your vacation, put some thought into what will make it meaningful.
Before Vacation starts – Create your environment
One of the best things about a staycation is saving money and using these tips over and over, any time you need a mini-vacation!
- Hire a house cleaning service or clean your house beforehand: This will start your vacation off right, so you can focus on relaxing!
- Purchase high count bed sheets, new fluffy towels, and a robe/pajamas: When you are saving on travel and lodging expenses, you can splurge on sheets that will make your bed feel as luxurious as any hotel! Add lush towels and a cozy robe or loungewear to make your “getaway” feel complete.
- Create a relaxing spa in your bathroom: Check out our 5 Easy Ways to Create a Spa-like Self-care Bathroom, that you will be able to use even after your vacation is over.
- Put together some mood playlists: Most music streaming services offer trials of their premium services, allowing you to listen ad-free while creating your own playlist or using one of their premade lists. Explore destination playlists, spa playlists, or your personal favorites!
- Pick a few new candles or home scents: To melt your day to day worries and create a relaxing atmosphere. As a bonus: Every time you use them, it will cue your body and mind to relax and unwind!
- Refresh the look of your space with flowers or plants:
- Pick up some vases and a bouquet of your favorite flowers to place around your home.
- Prefer plants to enjoy long after your vacation is over? Choose low maintenance indoor plants such as English Ivy, Pothos, and Calathea, or research higher maintenance plants such as an orchid or a bonsai if you are up to the challenge.
- Are there books that you’ve been wanting to read? Whether you prefer the feel of paper or ebook – Have them purchased and available to read before your time off begins.
- If you have an outdoor area (even a small patio or balcony): Create a cozy place to enjoy the outdoors, with lighting, plants, and a little table and chair set.
- Plan your meals:
- If you enjoy cooking: Plan ahead by creating a simple menu and get anything you will need for snacks and meals ahead of time.
- Don’t forget breakfast! Visit your local bakery to get some delicious pastries to enjoy with your morning coffee or tea.
- Or order take out: This can feel just like room service!
Create and set boundaries! Just because you are spending your vacation at home, don’t let yourself forget that – You Are On Vacation!
- Break out of your typical routine: Turn off your alarms, let your body reset.
- Don’t check into work: Especially now, with so many of us working from home, this may not be easy. However, that is even more of a reason completely shut off work, so that you can recharge and come back with a refreshed outlook.
- Leave the chores: Remember tip 1? If you start with a clean home, keeping the basics up during your vacation will suffice until after your staycation.
Enjoy Your Time!
Now that you have laid the ground rules to keep the day-to-day normalcy from sneaking into your vacation time, let’s look at some fun ideas to work into your time off!
Allow for downtime: Sometimes, the most luxurious thing you can do on vacation is absolutely nothing. Allow yourself to relish lounging in bed a little longer, give yourself permission to take a nap, take a spa bath, sit and read a book, sketch, or listen to some music.
At home Yoga or Meditation: Unplug, unwind, connect – with yoga and meditation. There are many proven benefits of yoga and meditation on your body and mind. Including increased strength, flexibility, and balance, relaxing the mind by decreasing stress and relieving anxiety, and is proven to help fight depression.
Make dinner special: Dress up, light some candles, and put on some music. Whether you cook it yourself or order takeout, it will create a lovely atmosphere to enjoy your meal. If you have the outdoor space, eat outdoors or on your patio/balcony. (This can be especially relaxing with your morning cup of coffee, tea, shake, or juice with some fresh fruit or a few delicious treats from the local bakery.)
Personal growth/goals: Vacations and staycations alike can give you the perfect opportunity to reevaluate. Want to set a new goal, learn a language, journal, learn to paint? Start now, and it will be easier to choose to incorporate that into your day to day when vacation is over.
Family Staycation – You can create a successful family staycation by adding just a few more considerations to your preplanning!
- Stock up on easy to make fun snacks
- Pick up some new art supplies & Plan some crafts
- Get several new family board games or even video games you and your kids can play together
- Let them choose some books
See below for even more fun ideas!
- Movie Marathon
- Go Camping
- Make S’mores
- Go Hiking
- Have a Game Night
- Cook Together
- Build a Fort
- Tour a Virtual Museum
- Explore Nature with Live Cam Streams
- Play in a Sprinkler
- Take a Walk
- Home Spa Day
- Try a new Cuisine
- Go on a Bike Ride
- Pack a Picnic
- Learn to Code
- Have a Water Day
Product Spotlight: Lawn Faucet Model# 0575-1/2
Central Brass offers high-quality commercial faucets with modern styles and features. Our faucets and are backed by a 10 year commercial warranty and have been the go-to resource for plumbers for over 100 years. Upgrade your next project with Central Brass faucets for reliability and superior craftsmanship.
- Wheel Handle
- Cast Brass Body, Hose Thread
- 1/2-14 NPT Female Thread