We use more water in just one room of our home than we may realize. Toilets alone are estimated to use nearly 30 percent of our indoor water usage. How often do we let the water run from our bathroom faucet, wasting valuable drinking water? Read on to see all the ways you can conserve water making small changes in just your bathroom alone.
In the Shower
- Cut back on the length of your shower – each minute of your shower can potentially use 5 gallons of water!
- Install a WaterSense certified low flow showerhead that uses 2.0 gallons per minute (GPM) or less to save water vs older models which used 5 GPM or more
- Choose a showerhead that allows you to turn off the water or reduce flow while shampooing
- Use a bucket to collect water as you wait for your shower to heat up, and then use the water to water plants, clean house, or even wash your car
- Brush your teeth while in the shower, utilizing the already running water
In the Bathtub:
- Take showers instead of baths or think of baths as a special occasional indulgence – a bath can take between 30-42 gallons to fill
- If you do take a bath, plug the drain and begin to fill the tub even if the water hasn’t finished heating, or collect the water for use around the house
- Check to make sure that your bathtub faucet doesn’t drip or leak when turned off
At the Sink:
- Install WaterSense certified aerators or faucets to aid in reducing water usage. Older faucets can use 3 – 7 gallons of water while low-flow faucets can use 1.5 GPM or less.
- Turn the water off at the sink while brushing your teeth, and washing your face or hands.
- When shaving your face, fill the sink with water rather than running the water to rinse the blade each time.
- Replace older toilets, which use between 3.5 – 7 gallons per flush, with high-efficiency models that use significantly less water at 1.28 gallons per flush.
- Don’t use the toilet to dispose of garbage, not only does it waste water it can clog pipes.
- Always repair a running toilet as soon as possible, the average running toilet can waste a gallon of water every 30 seconds!
Low Flow Product Spotlight
- Single Handle Tub/Shower Trim Set
- Lever Handle
- Face Plate
- Single Function 3-3/4” Showerhead, Arm & Flange
- Combo 1/2” IPS/Slip-On Diverter Tub Spout With Escutcheon
- With 1.75 GPM Flow Rate
- For Use with P-2300B & P-2400B Series Valves
- Valve not included
- ADA Compliant
- IAPMO Listed
- CUPC Listed
- Cal Green Compliant
- WaterSense Certified