In today’s energy-demanding world, committing to an eco-friendly lifestyle, and home is more needed than ever. Going green isn’t about jumping onto the latest trend, it’s about doing the right thing for our planet. The good news is that it doesn’t have to be hard. Start small, we like to say. To help you on your journey, here are 7 easy ways you can go green in the kitchen.
The kitchen is one of the biggest energy hot spots in your home, yet there are many solutions to lessen its energy output.
- Consider replacing your appliances with energy-efficient models which use 10-50% less energy than older models. Many states also offer tax-credit incentives for updating old appliances. You can find out more about your state here.
- If replacing your appliances isn’t in the budget, save energy just by reducing the temperature on your freezer and fridge, running your dishwasher at night with the delay start option, and turning down the temperature on your water heater.
- Cleaning may not seem like an obvious way to go green, but clean fridge coils and oven hoods help make for more energy-efficient appliances too.
Saving water is one of the best ways to go-green, and the best place to start is the kitchen sink.
- Make sure your faucet has a low-flow feature which uses an aerator to maintain pressure while using less water.
- Also, regularly check for faucet leaks under the sink to ensure no water is going to waste.
There are many ways to reuse products around the kitchen rather than tossing out consumable goods.
- Easily swap out paper towels for kitchen towels, paper napkins with cloth napkins, plastic bags with reusable totes, and saran wrap with reusable cloth food covers.
Natural Cleaning Products
Sticking with natural products is a win-win. It’s good for you, and it’s good for safe disposal in our environment— which affects both plant and animal life. It’s also great for preserving your appliances and plumbing! There are many great products available, here are a few of our favorite natural solutions.
- Baking Soda: Baking soda works well for both cleaning and deodorizing. As an added bonus, it softens the water.
- White Vinegar and Lemon Juice: It doesn’t get more natural than using single-ingredient cleaners. Both of these pantry-staples clean well and leave your kitchen smelling fresh.
- Method: If you’re looking for a natural solution at the store, Method is a trusted brand and is good for you and the environment.
- Myer’s Clean Day: Love a fresh, clean smell—but want to skip the chemicals? Mrs. Myer’s Clean Day offers a variety of scents using only natural ingredients. It’s a favorite!
A green home is a healthy home. Improve your home’s air quality by adding some easy-care plants to your kitchen. And while you’re conserving, consider watering your plants with water saved from washing produce. There are many air-purifying plants to choose from! Here are three that are low-maintenance and make great starter plants:
- English Ivy
- Chinese Evergreen
- Mother-in-Law’s Tongue
While most of us already recycle, it’s time to think beyond the trash can and look for ways to keep plastics out of the kitchen.
- Switch out plastic storage containers for glass containers
- Use biodegradable trash bags
Home temperature is another big energy drain in the home. By adding energy-efficient window treatments, you can lessen the amount of energy escaping out the window. Bamboo blinds are another eco-friendly choice as they easily break down more quickly in landfills.
While you’re going green in the kitchen, why not go green throughout the rest of your home? These 7 ideas are just a starting point for what you and your family can do to help our planet.
The Americana Collection embodies a rustic, country farmhouse look that exudes the style, grace, and quality craftsmanship of a bygone era. Americana faucets are offered in a wide selection of finishes and fit perfectly with both traditional and eclectic modern décore.
- Two Handle Kitchen Faucet
- Metal Lever Handles
- Spout Swivel 360°
- 8-11/16″ Reach, 10-1/4″ from Deck to Aerator
- Ceramic Disc Cartridges
- 1-Hole Installation
- Easy-Install 30″ Flex Supply Lines With 3/8″ Connections
- With 1.5 GPM Flow Rate